POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : POV-Ray 3.1 to other file formats - a possible solution : Re: POV-Ray 3.1 to other file formats - a possible solution Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:18:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray 3.1 to other file formats - a possible solution
From: Chris Huff
Date: 11 Aug 2000 10:07:43
Message: <chrishuff-2701B4.09084811082000@news.povray.org>
In article <3993ce85@news.povray.org>, "Neil Freebairn"
<nei### [at] lineonenet> wrote:

> 4th generation language, which here is my shorthand for words I'm not
> familiar with to describe the kinds of features one sees in C,
> Pascal, etc, and which weren't in POV3.0, but have started to appear
> in 3.1, such as macros.

Ah, I see...I had seen that acronym before, but couldn't remember what
it meant.
We have "functions"(macros, which do not behave like C macros, and
iso-functions, which can only handle scalars and do not have
conditionals), now we just need "pointers"(or "references", depending on
your favorite language...not simply C pointers) and structs or
classes(the objects could be used for this, just attach macros and
variables to them).

> If this text is already (or could be) held in memory against the
> identifier, the function should be straightforward to code - just
> write it out, no need to even worry about types. I suggested it was a
> conversion function, but that's incorrect.

The text that created an object is not associated with the identifier,
only the object data itself is. You would have to write out code
representing the current state of the object, so it *would* be a
conversion function.
It might be possible to save the string that produced the object, but I
have no idea how to do that.

TAG Web page: http://tag.povray.org/